Saturday, July 19, 2008

So Hadrian's Wall...

...isn't exactly what you would call a tourist attraction or something you could do as a day trip without a car. I think everyone (meaning the native Brits that I encountered) knew that, which is why I received headshakes and doubtful "Okay, I'll sell you these train tickets."

I was expecting something like a national park with pieces of the wall and trails for both the casual walker like myself and the hardcore ones who are walking the entire 80 miles of the wall.

The Web site said that Hadrian's Wall (which back when the Romans ruled Britain, Emperor Hadrian build a wall at the border of England and Scotland to separate the free Celts and the Celts under Roman rule) was accessible by rail, if you got off at the Newcastle stop, which seemed like a pretty happening town. I will get into that later.

That Web site said absolutely nothing about taking an hour and a half bus ride to a small piece of the wall. Nor did it say that the actual part where you can hike around for a little bit is almost three hours away.

Or that Hadrian's Wall really is for the hardcore hikers. Like people with sticks and tents and ponchos on their backs. And willing to spend a week hiking the 80 mile wall. (Which I would love to do. I could do that and swim the English Channel.)

But when it all came down to it, I enjoyed Hadrian's Wall. I saw Chesters, which is pieces of a fort, a bath house by the river, and part of the wall. I think Scotland was on the other side. Grant it, English country side looks like Pennsylvanian country side, except greener with sheep. And giant purple clouds.

But, no roar of the city. I heard the water rustling. I saw Scotland on the other side of the water and structures that have existed since the Roman era.

Lovely.

And of course I left my camera on the bus.

No comments: