Thursday, July 24, 2008

Norwegian Adventure via Bruce Air!

So, believe it or not, there are people crazier about Iron Maiden than me. Like, I definitely would not have flown Bruce Air if I wasn't already in London.

[Disclaimer: I may or may not have been in class on Tuesday. I could have been invisible.]

But some people on this 757 (not tricked out with Iron Maiden decals, thanks Africa. Eddie's only been around for like 30 years, you know.) One couple came from Japan. And one person flew overnight from D.C. and flew back the day after Bruce Air!



Greatest pilot in the universe.

And most people were in their late 30s and 40s. Which makes me feel much better about myself, but I do wonder, when does Bruce Dickinson fandom end? Does it ever end? Will I be giddily obsessed for the rest of my life?



The cult that is Iron Maiden fandom.

Like, as we were approaching Norway, Bruce told us how long it would be until we touched down in Trondheim and the weather, and I almost melted in my seat.



All of Bruce Dickinson's dreams came true. He finally met me.

And apparently, it's not a fashion faux pas to where an Iron Maiden shirt to an Iron Maiden show in Europe. Because almost the entire town of Trondheim wore Maiden shirts.

Trondheim, Norway is a very strange place. It's this small fishing village, surrounded by mountains and fjords. I would think even if it was sunny and not a cloud in the sky, it would still be a VERY gloomy place. Black metal totally makes sense, now. I think 80 percent of the town's population was at the Maiden show.



View from a river path in Trondheim.

Also, the English language is more widely accepted than I thought. I tried ordering a hot dog at Lerkendal Stadium in Norwegian; it was like "Bolognassee" or something. The woman gave me a blank look and said, "You mean the hot dog?"

Right. But you know something that isn't that widely accepted? Dancing your butt off at Iron Maiden shows.

The Norwegians could not handle my moves. Most of them took one look at me, and either backed away slowly or ran the other direction.

And now, off to Dublin! I will be the first Fossett to step foot on the homeland. Grant it, it's the adopted Korean one, but still...

No comments: