Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Stories and Our Lives

Ever since I've started this class, Magazine Fiction Writing, I have been wondering what makes stories.

I mean, sure. Anyone can recite the events of their day, their vacation, etc. It doesn't matter if it's so exciting you want to jump through the walls or if it's so boring you also would want to jump through wall, because that would certainly make things not boring, right?

Technically, we've been talking about causality, epiphanies, character change, symbols, motifs. Stylistically, we've touched on three sets, changing the pace of the sentences, etc.

But really, I think that's all horseshit.

I don't think it matters how the story is presented. I think it's what the story makes you do afterwards that mean something. Stories are an emotional experience. They allow you to share your experiences and thoughts with someone else. If your story can make that person burst into tears or jump for joy or throw your story in the fire out of sheer anger, then you've got something.

Which brings me to my point. I would like to know what story stirred an emotional reaction in you. What story moved you?

My Picks:
It: Stephen King
The Dark Tower VII: The Dark Tower: Stephen King
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: J.K. Rowling
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix: J.K. Rowling
The Giving Tree: Shel Silverstein
Walk Two Moons: Sharon Creech
The Catcher in the Rye: J.D. Salinger
Spirited Away
Futurama, Season 3, Episode 11

2 comments:

Ahwatukee Karen said...

When I was very young girl, The Catcher in the Rye took me to another world so I read it 3 times. Later as a young woman, my blood ran cold, my hand shook, I realized that humans could commit unspeakable horror as I read "In Cold Blood" by Truman Capote. I recently read "Worth more Dead" by Ann Rule and had nightmares. There are many many books that tell a story. The best books make you live in the story. Love Aunt Karen

Kris Fossett said...

Yes, yes! Exactly.