Tuesday, September 11, 2007

VHS Rules! Stop with the Reissue!

Reissues achieved a status that I hope to have someday. Reissues are at the same time the greatest thing ever and the worst thing ever.

Like reissuing videos that were originally on VHS to DVD.

Pros: Remastered. Extra features. Less of a chance that the tape is going to disingrate.

Cons:
What if you recently spent $20 on a VHS tape? And you wanted the video to be on VHS tape because you thought it had a more retro quality? For example, it's a concert video from 1985. And it's so delightfully 80s. Brightly colored spandex. Loads of shiny silver chains hanging from a studded belt. High socks. Beautiful, long strawberry blonde hair on a certain singer. To put this in perspective on how cool this 1985 concert is, I was negative one when this came out! Powerslave was a new album!

But now I saw Iron Maiden is reissuing this concert on DVD.

Grr...Yes, I love the tape, but all recent concert videos always have interviews and really cool extras. Which means I have to buy Live After Death again.

And I need to get over my fear of trying to contact my hero. I've tried emailing Bruce Dickinson at the BBC six times now, only to find myself losing courage and NOT hitting "Send." After like 50 rewrites. Each. Man, if this was high school, I would be the chick that stares at him from the back of the class and giggles when he walks by. Or the chick that attempts to try out for the fencing team and melts when the he smiles and runs away all red faced from fencing tryouts. Without trying out. Or the chick who just stares at him if he asks for a pencil. Maybe I would have prank phone called him a bunch of times, too. Then I would just be known as That Awkwardly Creepy Chick to him.

But then again, if we did go to high school together, he would be forever known as That Dude Who Pissed in the Headmaster's Dinner and Got Kicked Out for Doing So. And he wouldn't be my hero because he would be That Dude. Who wants to hang and drink with That Dude?

Good thing Bruce and I didn't go to high school together.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

*sigh* Wow. It really is that bad, er, I mean....

Just email him for Pete's (or should I say, Bruce's) sake!!!

Rock stars are people, too.

Kris Fossett said...

I know, I know. Any other famous person I wouldn't have a problem with walking up to them and talking, but this is Bruce. I don't know, I just can't do it. For some odd reason, it just freaks me out.

Mad Pierrot said...

... Get over and email him, woman.