Wednesday, February 27, 2008

To England!!!

I'm thinking about studying British Mass Communication this summer. In London. I haven't applied to Temple's program yet, but man, am I getting some plans.

Steve Fossett, the balloon guy who may or may not (most likely not, but that would be fresh) related to me, swam across the English Channel at one point in his life. Which got me thinking at work today, "Hey, I'm going to London. I should swim across the English Channel, too!"

Okay, so I haven't swam competitively, or...er...at all, since I was 18. Actually, no, I have swam some laps here and there in between shifts. But since I started working at Electronic Ink, I don't lifeguard much anymore. So, in terms of thinking about swimming the English Channel, no, I haven't swam at all since I was 18.

But I'm not leaving for London until July. I could train.

I mean, how cold can 58 degrees Fahrenheit possibly be? And a body of water between England and France couldn't be that dirty. People do it all the time (like Most Likely Not Cousin Steve). And long could it possibly take to swim 37,000 meters?

Hmm...maybe I should just settle for jogging around Big Ben and Buckingham Palace. And fencing at the London Thames Fencing Club.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kris,

Interesting that you think we may be (or may be not) related to Steve Fossett. I did some research and found out his family history shows he came from north New Jersey. Your Gran-pop also had family in New Jersey. His mom was raised in a town called Elizabeth NJ. Steve Fosset has the "french" look just like my dad did, remember his rather large nose. A french trait? I once sent Steve Fossett an e-mail and asked him point blank (of course I told him I was not looking to inherit his money) if he could be related to our family. The bastard never answered me. Lousy Frenchman.

Love u much. Aunt Karen

Kris Fossett said...

Dad always said that May or May Not Be Cousin Steve had the "Fossett" nose. I never knew if he was kidding or not.

And man, what a jerk! Fossett can't be that common of a name, could it? We should unite the Fossetts!